I have written a workbook called “Pentatonic Fun” for Year 3. It is about pentatonic scales and Chinese music. Children have quite a lot of work to complete in the workbook:
- Learning the words – scale, pentatonic, guzheng, pipa, dizi, erhu, molihua, ostinato, drone, solo, duet, trio, quartet, tutti.
- Identifying, drawing and listening to music that uses guzheng, pipa, dizi and erhu
- Singing the Chinese songs “Molihua”, “Rainbow Sister” and “Little Silver Moon”
- Composing ostinati and composing new lyrics to a song
- Performing pentatonic melodies on xylophones and recorders
- Responding to a video of the four instruments playing an arrangement of “Molihua”
- Learning how jianpu works and how to translate it into letter notation
- Learning a little about the piece “Ambush from Ten Sides” played on the pipa and about a famous battle in Chinese history
- Composing music to depict a battle in small groups
- Learning to play solo, duet, trio, quartet and tutti
I will be trying out the booklet in January – if anyone else is interested please feel free to download and use.